We love these crispy bites of corn and batter, especially on National Corn Fritters Day! Yes, it's a real thing.
This dish is popular in the South, and the Southern recipes usually call for eggs, milk, even butter. But whhhyyy? I make these vegan and the light batter really lets the sweet corn shine.
Use frozen or fresh corn. Lately, I've been adding diced zucchini too because we have a bumper crop of squash. Diced red pepper would be great too!
I like to use my mini ice cream scoop when dropping the batter into the oil so that they're nugget sized. They fry up super quick too (about two minutes per side) and are so cute for an appetizer.
I do make these with Smart Seasoning, which is my go-to seasoning for everything lately. It's full of delicious umami, and it makes everything just so darn easy! If you don't have it, GET IT, or season to taste until you can get your hands on it!
1. Mix 1 cup of flour with 1 tbsp of Smart Seasoning.
2. Add 1 cup of cold club soda.
3. Add 1 cup of corn kernels (fresh or frozen). Add minced red onion.
4. Mix well, then let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Heat neutral oil until shimmering.
6. Fry in small batches until golden brown ... flip ... and CRUNCH! 😁
These do not need anything else... aioli, hot sauce, nada. But a squirt of fresh lemon juice could be nice. Enjoy hot.